[Bro-Dev] Geo Location Plugin

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Tue Oct 7 08:25:55 PDT 2014

On Mon, Oct 06, 2014 at 21:46 -0700, you wrote:

> Thanks Robin. Everything on the "Writing Bro Plugins" page is clear
> although the debugging section seems thin to me. Then again, I've have
> never compiled Bro with debugging enabled before.

Ok, I'll try to extend that a bit more, it's written mainly from the
perspective of adding debugging output to your plugin; not in terms of
leveraging the existing output to see why something's not working.

>  Are there plans to expand the Types section of that page?

I would like to, but it's quite a bit of work to fill in the TODOs, so
honestly I don't see that coming very soon. The problem is that most
of the missing TODOs are actually not really a matter per se of
writing a plugin or not, but require text on how to write the
corresponding code for Bro in general (in other words, even before
moving to plugins, much of that would have been quite similar). For
now, the best way to figure this out is to look at existing code,
i.e., for the builtin-in stuff other *.bif files.

> I think I'm not declaring a scriptland record type correctly.

Feel free to post error messages here.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin