[Bro-Dev] Plugins providing threads?

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Oct 8 08:29:30 PDT 2014

On Oct 7, 2014, at 5:43 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:

> Jon, how are you planing to integrate Broker into Bro? Would this help
> there as well if you could just follow a similar structure with Broker
> running inside its own thread?

Mostly planning to integrate as IOSource(s) in the main thread as I expect many of the messages either originate or terminate there due to script-land interactivity.  Broker’s internal processing is to be scheduled to threads automatically by actor-framework.  Wrapping all Broker-related messaging as a Bro-thread that does its own message passing seems like an unneeded indirection as Broker already facilitates its own message passing between endpoints (as it’s built on top of the more-generalized actor-framework message passing).