[Bro-Dev] Geo Location Plugin

Clark, Gilbert gc355804 at ohio.edu
Thu Oct 16 09:21:24 PDT 2014

+1 that core plugins be built / distributed with bro.

Re: package / plugin management, coming from a Java EE background, one of the things I don't like about some of the OSGi software (read: highly modular, plugin-driven) I've worked with is how confusing it can get to track versions of each specific bundle / plugin to know how / when to update them.  Binding a specific set of core plugin versions to application releases mitigates some of that complexity in my experience.  In other words, I'd be a bit hesitant to agree that bro should individually package *core* plugins and offer them independently through a repo, just because it will probably require a great deal of care to update those (since there could be e.g. side effects / dependencies that aren't immediately obvious).

An external repository / package manager seems like a good fit for non-core plugins, though.

-Gilbert