[Bro-Dev] Geo Location Plugin

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Oct 17 06:16:23 PDT 2014

On Thu, Oct 16, 2014 at 11:54 -0700, you wrote:

> That makes sense. The next logical question would be, what makes a plugin
> special enough to be included the core? I think GeoIP, being legacy like
> Robin mentioned, qualifies.

Yeah, as Seth writes, it'll be a fine line. The other thing is
infrastructure: right now we have one bro-plugins repository, which is
pulled into aux/ but nothing in there is built automatically. I see
three options:

    (1) Leave as it is; i.e., not build any plugins by default.

    (2) Select some plugins in bro-plugins that build automatically
        with Bro.

    (3) Split bro-plugins into two repositories. One set would build
        with Bro, the other not. We'd need to decide if both would be
        pulled into the Bro source tree, or not.

Sounds we don't want (1), but I'm undecided between (2) and (3).
Opinions?

For both (2) and (3) we'll need to integrate the selected plugins into
Bro's build process, including passing through configure options.

Robin Sommer * Phone +1 (510) 722-6541 *     robin at icir.org
ICSI/LBNL    * Fax   +1 (510) 666-2956 * www.icir.org/robin