[Bro-Dev] [EXTERNAL] Re: [Bro] Logging VLAN IDs

Thomas, Eric D edthoma at sandia.gov
Tue Apr 28 11:32:32 PDT 2015

Hi Robin,

I thought more about your generalized idea and would like to follow up. To
start, adding link-level features to the connection ID hash, while perhaps
useful in some contexts, does not provide us the functionality we desire.
I have an incoming feed of VLAN-tagged traffic (both VLAN and 802.1ah)
with perhaps dozens of different VLANs, and I would like to handle the
connections differently in scripts but also mainly in offline log analysis
depending upon which VLANs the traffic is associated with.

Initially I had proposed simply adding the VLAN Ids to the conn.log file,
but that is certainly too specific of a solution. What are your thoughts
on exposing link-level features at the script layer for connections? For
example, if all observed VLAN tags for a connection were in a set variable
of the script-level Connection record, I could then label my data by
matching VLAN Ids, then process them differently accordingly. Thoughts?

--
Eric Thomas
edthoma at sandia.gov