[Bro-Dev] libcurl and libev integration

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Sun May 10 20:28:57 PDT 2015

On Thu, May 07, 2015 at 21:24 +0300, you wrote:

> My conclusion at this very early stage is that it would make sense to
> substitute Bro's event loop and DNS client with libev.

Lots of good thoughts. That all makes sense and would be worth
exploring I think. Much of the current code is indeed just legacy[1]
and should really be completely redone. I wasn't aware of libuv, but
that and libev both look like good candidates to get some abstraction
in there.

Redoing the I/O loop is a larger project though. The coding is one
part but we'd also need to test it pretty thoroughly in a range of
settings so that we don't break anything. If we had a volunteer to
take the lead on this, that would probably help a lot. :-)

Robin

[1] Including such things as working around old OS versions not
correctly handling select on fds coming out of pcap.

--
Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin