[Bro-Dev] package manager progress

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 5 11:29:48 PDT 2016

> On Aug 5, 2016, at 12:52 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>

>> Hhhm, is it naming conventions that people have a problem with or the implication of policing?
>
> The problem is that the suggested naming convention wouldn't work:
> it's not clear how somebody would name their plugin if it provided
> more than one specific piece of functionality.

I would expect that any package repository has that same issue, there is no perfect taxonomy.

If we are going to rely on metadata, which I agree can be better as you can tag a package with multiple categories, we should probably have some basic requirements for this type of metadata. Do you agree?

:Adam

------

Adam J. Slagell
Chief Information Security Officer
Director, Cybersecurity Division
www.slagell.info

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."