[Bro-Dev] Updating NEWS for 2.5

Jan Grashöfer jan.grashoefer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 07:23:01 PDT 2016

> Could folks take a look at NEWS and see what's missing?
>     - Document the recent intel framework updates.

For the NEWS (all changes, feel free to cut down):

+++
- Bro's Intelligence Framework was refactored and new functionality
  has been added:

  - The intel framework now supports the new indicator type
    Intel::SUBNET. As subnets are matched against seen addresses,
    the field 'matched' was introduced to indicate which indicator
    type(s) caused the hit.

  - The new function remove() allows to delete intelligence items.

  - The intel framework now supports expiration of intelligence items.
    Expiration can be configured by using Intel::item_expiration and
    can be handled by using the item_expired() hook. The new script
    do_expire.bro removes expired items.

  - The new hook extend_match() allows extending the framework. The new
    policy script whitelist.bro uses the hook to implement whitelisting.

  - Intel notices are now suppressible and mails for intel notices now
    list the identified services as well as the intel source.
+++

Additionally I talked to Seth about documentation of the new features.
He suggested to write a blog post. I've already started but as I am
quite busy at the moment it will take some more time.

Best regards,
Jan