[Bro-Dev] bro-pkg v0.3
jsiwek at illinois.edu
Fri Aug 12 16:54:47 PDT 2016
Feedback from the previous bro-dev thread is now addressed and I’d consider this version of the package manager ready for people to start trying out. Documentation:
* Docs are now hosted at Read the Docs instead of GitHub
I found it more straightforward to setup/use/maintain docs on RtD. It automatically builds docs upon committing to master or making a release tag. See  for directions on how the docs could be made reachable at a bro.org domain, but still hosted at RtD.
* A package submission process is found in the README of https://github.com/bro/packages
Which is just my idea of what the process will look like, so please comment if it differs from anyone’s expectations.
* I’ve put it on PyPi  and it’s installable via `pip`
What are thoughts on making this the standard installation process for bro-pkg instead of bundling it into the Bro distribution? Benefits:
1) Decoupling from Bro’s release cycle. Seems like the kind of tool where it’s important to have quick/lightweight releases/patches that are easy for users to upgrade to. Would bundling in with Bro make for a more cumbersome upgrade path?
2) Installing via pip will automatically install dependencies (gitpython, semantic-version). Installing those automatically via Bro’s CMake, while probably possible, seems unusual/hacky.
A downside would be that the first-time configuration is currently easier if done via Bro’s CMake since it can fill in all the paths of bro-pkg.config automatically. But I also see potential for addressing that in a way that doesn’t involve putting bro-pkg into Bro’s CMake. E.g. if there were `bro —config site_dir` and `bro —config plugin_dir` commands that could be executed from the command-line, bro-pkg could just use those to autogenerate an appropriate config.
More information about the bro-dev