[Bro-Dev] [Proposal] Language extensions for better Broker support

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Dec 14 08:17:26 PST 2016

> On Dec 13, 2016, at 11:42 AM, Matthias Vallentin <vallentin at icir.org> wrote:
>
>>> local r = put(store, key, test(lookup(store, key)));
>
> It's up to the user to check the result variable (here: r) and decide
> what to do: abort, retry, continue, or report an error.

The thing that got me about that for this particular example was that I can’t distinguish whether the "lookup" or the “put” failed, which might be important since the “test” operation is between them and I may or may not want “test" to happen in the retry attempt depending on what exactly failed.

Not really making an argument/vote against this feature, just thinking out loud whether it would be something I’d personally use on the chance it helps you better plan/design.  Still think I’d instead always manually unpack/test individual async return values.