[Bro-Dev] package manager progress

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Mon Jul 25 13:49:27 PDT 2016

> On Jul 24, 2016, at 3:45 PM, Siwek, Jon <jsiwek at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> * Add a way for package’s to define “discoverability metadata”.

Kind of related to this, I think we need to define some basic rules for package naming.  This can help discoverability and also namespacing issues. Right now we have plugins named:

af_packet
elasticsearch
kafka
myricom
netmap
pf_ring
redis
tcprs

But I think they need to be renamed using prefixes like:

af_packet     - pktsrc-af_packet
elasticsearch - log-writer-elasticsearch
kafka         - log-writer-kafka
myricom       - pktsrc-myricom
netmap        - pktsrc-netmap
pf_ring       - pktsrc-pf_ring
redis         - log-writer-redis
tcprs         - analyzer-tcprs

In one aspect the pktsrc- prefix acts like a tag, but can also help disambiguate plugins... i.e., a redis log writer plugin vs. a redis data store plugin vs. a redis protocol analyzer.

--
- Justin Azoff