[Bro-Dev] package manager progress

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Jul 27 11:34:32 PDT 2016

> On Jul 27, 2016, at 12:59 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> Ah, I see. Would it be better to generally use the full path as the
> name, and not search for submatches, to make it consistent/unambiguous
> what a name refers to?

At least from my usage it’s been convenient to be able to use a short name.  It still always accepts full path names for packages even if they’re unambiguous when shortened, and the full path is what gets displayed in package listings so it’s never inconsistent in that regard.  A user is free to always type full paths and for those that like to use short names an occasional “please clarify” may be more helpful than annoying: e.g. “oh I didn’t realize there were two, I should look into which one is more appropriate for me to use”.