[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 2 13:13:28 PDT 2016

> On Jun 2, 2016, at 10:56 AM, Siwek, Jon <jsiwek at illinois.edu> wrote:
>

>> On Jun 1, 2016, at 5:30 PM, Slagell, Adam J <slagell at illinois.edu> wrote:
>>
>> These are variants of #1, which I now substitute with bro-pkg
>
> Related to “pkg” or “package” naming: if that terminology gets used, what would be done about the classic/existing usage of the term “package” within Bro?
>
> “Package” is currently used to refer to any collection of Bro scripts within a common directory.  Just scripts, nothing else.  Meaning a “package”, as it exists now, isn’t something that the new "package manager” would know how to deal with.
>
> I don’t think it’s a good idea to let the term be overloaded in the documentation and possibly internal naming conventions in Bro code.  Not that it can’t be changed, but just wondering if it’s already been decided that making those changes would not be a big deal.

It looks like that term is just used here for “Script packages” and on all the auto generated subpages. We can just rename that as I don’t it is not a widely used term. I do want to do that before 2.5 if we do it, though.

So with that said, I propose bro-pkg, but will leave this open for another day if there are strong opinions.

------

Adam J. Slagell
Chief Information Security Officer
Director, Cybersecurity Division
www.slagell.info

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."