[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Sat Jun 4 08:45:18 PDT 2016

> On Jun 3, 2016, at 2:39 PM, Slagell, Adam J <slagell at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> So what would you do, call it the tool bro-bpm, the project “Bro Plugin Manager” (BPM), and the objects being managed plugins?

Yeah both the tool and the project are "Bro Plugin Manager” (or some variant of BPM abbreviation) because that is role they perform.  The Bro Plugin Manager repository contains a Bro Plugin Manager client as well as a central location for plugins contributed by the community.  i.e. the client helps manage a particular user’s plugins and the repository helps manage/organize the whole community’s plugins.

> Alternatively, what I earlier proposed is that we call directories of related scripts bundles, plugins are called plugins, a plugin+metadata that fits them within our package manager a package

My last understanding is that we’re starting out w/ metadata being entirely optional and seeing how it goes.  This also makes it more convenient for people to use the tool to manage plugins they have no intention of publishing and so don’t care to bother w/ metadata.

So my opinion is that there is no reason to uniquely distinguish plugin+metadata from a regular plugin.  Besides that, adding metadata to a plugin doesn’t change the fact that it is still a plugin that can be used directly with bro without requiring the use the new “plugin manager” at all.