[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Sat Jun 4 11:09:11 PDT 2016

On Sat, Jun 04, 2016 at 17:25 +0000, you wrote:

> On the exception that someone can come up w/ a longer list of
> convincing problems regarding the use of “plugin” :)

Sorry, I have to keep the discussion going by objecting. :-)

I really don't like calling these things "plugins", nor calling the
whole thing the "plugin manager". I'm with Jan here: I think that
would be quite misleading in terms of what I believe people associate
with "plugin" normally and also with how we've used the term "plugin"
so far. The primary way we've used "plugin" so far is as a compiled,
binary extension. While indeed the structure also accommodates
script-only plugins, that does not warrant calling a set of scripts a
"plugin" in my view. Indeed I don't think most people even realize
that a plugin can be just scripts.

In contrast, "package" is much more generic and can therefore better
accomodate a range of things without becoming confusing (it's fuzzy to
begin with :) So my vote goes to "package", "bro-pkg", and "Bro
Package Manager". We could then also start calling the script-only
things "modules", which aligns with what the scripting language
already does with its namespaces (and in fact I'm often using "module"
in that way already). So a "package" would then contain script
"modules" and/or binary "plugins"

My second choice would be using "bundle" instead of "package", and
then I guess "bro-bundle" "Bro Bundle Manager". We're introducing
something new here, so it would make sense to use a new term, "bundle".

Robin

--
Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin