[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Jan Grashöfer jan.grashoefer at gmail.com
Sat Jun 4 11:40:09 PDT 2016

> Sorry, I was just talking about in terms of interoperability w/ the client: all metadata is optional and doesn’t magically turn a plugin into something else that can now work with it.
> [...]
> - it would create another term for what is already named a “plugin”.  Having two words for the same thing isn’t optimal.

Just a side note: If we equalize the concept of a plugin/script with the
concept of a bundle/package, I agree that it would be unnecessary to
find a new name for the same thing. But to me a bundle/package is
something different: It's a deployment unit, acting as some sort of
container (usually enriched by metadata). A plugin/script itself could
be used with Bro but wrapping it into the container allows to manage it
(e.g. in terms of version, dependencies, etc.).