[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 5 08:09:53 PDT 2016

> On Jun 4, 2016, at 1:09 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> I really don't like calling these things "plugins", nor calling the
> whole thing the "plugin manager". I'm with Jan here: I think that
> would be quite misleading in terms of what I believe people associate
> with "plugin” normally

My argument is that it is true/factual/objective that scripts may used as a form of plugin.

We don’t have any data on exactly what percent of people don’t understand that.  If it is a majority, that doesn’t change the fact that the majority has a belief that is not completely true and so it makes sense to go against them in an educational effort.

And that task isn’t even difficult.  It takes a single sentence description: “Bro Plugins can be either compiled code, Bro scripts or a combination of both”.

> and also with how we've used the term "plugin"
> so far. The primary way we've used "plugin" so far is as a compiled,
> binary extension. While indeed the structure also accommodates
> script-only plugins, that does not warrant calling a set of scripts a
> "plugin" in my view. Indeed I don't think most people even realize
> that a plugin can be just scripts.

But they are going to be become aware very soon, so isn’t it more awkward to try and continue obfuscating the truth of things?

> So my vote goes to "package", "bro-pkg", and "Bro
> Package Manager".

The only way I’d be ok with “package” is if it completely replaces all uses of the term “plugin”.  Otherwise, I think any other idea so far is better than packages.