[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 5 09:51:07 PDT 2016

> On Jun 5, 2016, at 10:55 AM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
>> To me, the important part of a the definition of a plugin for most
>> software is that it is an externally contributed, self/contained
>> add-on which extends functionality.
>
> Agree in principle, but "extending functionality" with a plugin is
> different that just writing a new Bro script. A "plugin" typically
> plugs into a set of hooks that a software provides to extend things it
> doesn't provide out of the box; once loaded, that new functionality
> then becomes a core feature just as if it had been built in in the
> first place. I don't see, e.g., writing a script-level detector for
> new vulnerability XYZ like that. If a wrote new Python module
> implementing, say, BASE65 encoding, I wouldn't be adding a "plugin" to
> Python either.

I think we are working from two different mental models. You are thinking of Bro mostly from the programming language perspective and analogies with Python. I am thinking of it as a tool or piece of software. It’s both, but I am not bothered by incongruencies to Python.

Regardless, it seems that you and Jon have irreconcilable differences that eliminate plugin or package. And as the PI and implementer, I give high weight to both of your opinions. Would either of you object to extensions?

So while I *really* hate to do this, I will throw out bro-bee and Bro Extensions for Everyone.

------

Adam J. Slagell
Chief Information Security Officer
Director, Cybersecurity Division
www.slagell.info

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."