[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Sun Jun 5 15:26:02 PDT 2016

> On Jun 5, 2016, at 11:51 AM, Slagell, Adam J <slagell at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Regardless, it seems that you and Jon have irreconcilable differences that eliminate plugin or package. And as the PI and implementer, I give high weight to both of your opinions. Would either of you object to extensions?
>
> So while I *really* hate to do this, I will throw out bro-bee and Bro Extensions for Everyone.

We haven’t had a lot of time to reconcile, but my stance is that it’s not logical to choose a project name that introduces ambiguity in the naming of the top-level containers it deals with.

Some paths to move forward that I see:

1) revisit the design of what the top-level container is

2) use plugins as top-level container and project name that refers to plugins

3) use plugins as top-level container and project name that is totally unrelated to the container name

4) use plugins as top-level container, a project name that refers to them by a different name, and then suggest how docs should be written or re-organized to avoid ambiguity.  I’m only being slightly facetious here, I really would need extra help/effort with guidelines for what term to use in what situations.  e.g. is it ok to call it a “plugin” when referring directly to existing plugin docs, but I should use the other term otherwise?  Seems better to avoid the extra effort and strain this path puts on maintaining consistent/clear docs.

- Jon