[Bro-Dev] New proposal (Re: CBAN naming)

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 9 09:44:46 PDT 2016

> On Jun 8, 2016, at 10:01 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> Do we maybe need need two repositories, one for the client and for the
> packages?

I see benefits in two separate repos:

1) pull requests easier to verify — there won’t be client bug fixes mixed in w/ package submission requests.

2) easier to avoid accidental recursive submodule updates that go out and "fetch the world" — the client can add package repositories “git clone” instead of as submodules located directly in client’s git repo.

3) cleaner way for client to interface w/ multiple package collections if there ever comes to exist ones not maintained by the Bro project.

So repos can be:

	client: bro-pkg
	community packages: bro-pkg-community

bro-pkg then would have a default URL that points to bro-pkg-community as it’s hosted on bro.org.  It could also point to the bro-pkg-community github mirror, but I don’t see a reason for that.  Just mentioning in case someone does.