[Bro-Dev] New proposal (Re: CBAN naming)

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Thu Jun 9 14:32:19 PDT 2016

> On Jun 9, 2016, at 3:29 PM, Matthias Vallentin <vallentin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> I'm not sure if I understand the -community suffix. The client bro-pkg
> makes sense to me. But the first association I have with
> bro-pkg-community is a community-version of bro-pkg (i.e., the client).

Was mostly thinking it’s nice to indicate some way in the name that the contents of the repo aren’t authored by the bro team.  Doesn’t have to be a suffix, could be “bro-community-packages” or “community-packages”.

> How about just "packages?" Forking github.com/bro/packages feels like a
> natural and understandable descriptor.

To me, a URL like that has a subtle implication that the packages are authored by the “bro” account, but that could be easy to clarify in the repo description: “These are packages contributed by the community”.

I like the “packages” + “package-manager” combo that Johanna suggests.