[Bro-Dev] Broker C++ namespace: broker -> bro?

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Wed May 11 18:07:32 PDT 2016

I'm considering renaming the C++ broker namespace from "broker" to
"bro". After all, it's *Bro's* communication library. This would reduce
noise in the source code (3 less characters for those who cannot or
don't want to import the entire namespace) and also reduce ambiguity (we
can now use bro::broker as a class name). The only point where I could
see this problematic is if we ever wanted to distribute Bro itself as
shared library. Personally, I don't see this a realistic outcome though.
The overwhelming amount of global state and program structure has not
been designed to allow for distribution as (shared) library.

Thoughts?

    Matthias