[Bro-Dev] Broker C++ namespace: broker -> bro?

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu May 12 11:59:11 PDT 2016

On Wed, May 11, 2016 at 18:07 -0700, you wrote:

> I'm considering renaming the C++ broker namespace from "broker" to
> "bro". After all, it's *Bro's* communication library.

Not sure I like that. The library is called Broker, so "broker" seems
the natural namespace to me. And it's not really just for Bro either,
people might just as well use it outside of Bro (and I hope they
eventually will! :)

>  This would reduce noise in the source code (3 less characters for
>  those who cannot or don't want to import the entire namespace) and
>  also reduce ambiguity (we can now use bro::broker as a class name).

I don't think the first one is a problem, and the latter is a
self-made one: I think the better solution would be finding a
different name for those things now called "broker", rather than
changing the entire namespace.

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin