[Bro-Dev] CBAN design proposal

Vlad Grigorescu vlad at grigorescu.org
Mon May 23 09:22:37 PDT 2016

I think we're generally on the same page, but I wanted to elaborate a bit
on what I envisioned with the plugin submission process.

When a contributor submits a new script, there would be some mandatory
checks that would need to pass for the script to be included:

* Is the plugin structure valid?
* Is there a valid metadata file? This file could list things like
dependencies, what version of Bro the plugin works on, etc. I think the
bare minimum of what needs to be in the plugin is: 1) version number and 2)
license information. It's possible that we wouldn't even need the license
if the submission process puts a default license on any plugin that doesn't
specify otherwise.
* If there are dependencies, are those already in the CBAN repository?
* Is Bro able to load this plugin with --parse-only, or does it generate a
parse error?
* Is there already a plugin with that name and version number? If so, the
author would need to increment the version.

I think this is a nice balance between some bare minimum checks designed to
ensure that the plugin is actually installable and not putting too much of
a burden on contributors.

Once a plugin has been submitted, if it passes those checks, I think it
should be automatically pulled into a repo. I don't think that we need
manual intervention for this. At this point, though, I think we could run
some "quality tests" and give the plugin a quality score. This might be
things like:

* Is there documentation? (Both a README and checking to see if, for
example, external redef-able consts are documented).
* Are there btests?
* Do the tests pass?
* Does the plugin load in bare mode?

These quality scores would be strictly informative, and wouldn't prevent or
modify the acceptance of the plugin.

What I'm imagining is something like this:
https://forge.puppet.com/vshn/gitlab/scores#module-release-info

  --Vlad