[Bro-Dev] CBAN design proposal

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Mon May 23 16:30:44 PDT 2016

> On May 23, 2016, at 5:40 PM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>

>> When a contributor submits a new script, there would be some mandatory
>> checks that would need to pass for the script to be included:
>
> The "mandatory" is where I disagree. I believe there's just to much
> involved with any initial vetting, even if conceptually simply, that
> it will create a bottleneck.

I guess there is a balance here. If we do no mandatory checks and you could submit something that isn’t even a Bro plugin, the repository could become cluttered with junk. Do we really want things that don’t even “compile”? I guess we can wait and see for some of these decisions, meaning start with optional and decide to make them mandatory if it becomes a problem.

However, where we can’t do that is with the metadata we collect. If we don’t require what we think is important metadata in the beginning, then we will have a gap if we decide it was important all along. So there I would err towards overcorrecting in the beginning, and make things optional in the future if it turns out not to be important.