[Bro-Dev] CBAN design proposal

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Tue May 24 14:46:20 PDT 2016

(I will respond to the actual proposal in more depth later.)

> That is a good point. I am more concerned about accumulating clutter.

If I understold it correctly, I don't think that the central CBAN
repository will accumulate clutter. The automatic checks will help
simply age out repos that do not comply with the minimal standards. It's
up to the devs to comply if the want to be integrated.

More generally, there will presumably some functionality to add
"remotes" to one's configuration, allowing plugin writers to point to
experimental code if they wish. Then they can still hack out code and
mix it with existing CBAN plugins, at their own risk.

With a small linter in place, we would also lower the bar for devs to
comply. Homebrew has a nice checker, for example.

On a cosmetic note, will thing be called CBAN? I find it a very cryptic
name, often confused it with BPAN (even though it doesn't make sense),
and was wondering whether we should converge on some more pronounceable
candidates.

    Matthias