[Bro-Dev] CBAN design proposal

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed May 25 08:37:54 PDT 2016

> On May 24, 2016, at 2:52 PM, Jan Grashöfer <jan.grashoefer at gmail.com> wrote:
>

> Imagine there was someone who published an awesome script but a new
> version of Bro breaks it. Another one patched the script and sends the
> patch to the original author. What will happen, in case he does not
> respond? Personally I don't like repositories which end up with entries
> like: "awesome-script", "awesome-script v2", "awesome-script by Jan" ...
> To avoid this one might consider to support forking plugins or organize
> the plugins user-centered ("jan/awesome-script", "anna/awesome-script").

I also think going with a hierarchical organization like that would help the situation you describe — if an original author of a plugin becomes unresponsive then another person who wants to start maintaining it could “fork” and submit that to cban,  Then hopefully when a cban user is searching around it would be apparent that a submission got forked by other users in the community and the answer to why and which version they should use is a few “cban info <repo>” commands away.