[Bro-Dev] CBAN design proposal

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Thu May 26 08:57:02 PDT 2016

> On May 26, 2016, at 10:46 AM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> - Terminology 1: agree that we should find a better name for CBAN.

BroForge?

> - Terminology 2: Using "plugin" as the entity name for everything is
>  confusing I think, as right now I think most people understand it as
>  something that gets compiled; nobody calls a script a plugin (unless
>  it's a plugin for a specific script-framework; but that's even more
>  confusing then :). The best alternative names I can come up with are
>  "module" or "package", which are also overloaded already, but at
>  least more generic. Other suggestions?

But we are wrapping everything in the Bro plugin architecture, right? I guess I I don’t think of plugins as necessarily binary, but maybe we shift nomenclature completely and start calling plugins packages across our documentation. But if we refer to the same thing as a plugin sometimes and a package other times, I think it gets even more confusing.

> - We could create a public mailing list for CBAN for all discussions
>  of individual plugins/modules, including in particular for decisions
>  to remove something. Would be good to keep this all open and
>  transparent.

I like the idea of a CBAN list.

------

Adam J. Slagell
Chief Information Security Officer
Director, Cybersecurity Division
www.slagell.info

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."