[Bro-Dev] CBAN naming

Azoff, Justin S jazoff at illinois.edu
Fri May 27 10:37:46 PDT 2016

> On May 27, 2016, at 1:00 PM, Matthias Vallentin <vallentin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> To find the new name for our CBAN project, it probably make sense to
> brainstorm separately from the existing technical thread. I'd say let's
> collect some candidates and then create survey to vote on them.
>
> Here are some ideas from the existing thread:
>
>    - brow
>    - broil
>    - broom
>    - bpk
>    - berk
>    - bob
>    - bip

I don't have much of an opinion in the naming, just that we should avoid using a name that already exists.

I checked for collisions in debian(package names and filenames under *bin/) the only tool that currently exists is 'bip' which is an irc proxy.

There is a chef related tool called berkshelf: https://github.com/berkshelf/berkshelf which installs a 'berks' command

One thing that did come up was this:

https://github.com/CompEvol/CBAN: Comprehensive BEAST Archive Network

which doesn't seem terribly popular, but is actively in use.

bpkg is another obvious name that is already in use: https://github.com/bpkg

--
- Justin Azoff