[Bro-Dev] Package manager meta data
jsiwek at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 18 12:57:49 PST 2016
Here’s a summary of the set of changes I plan to make related to package metadata, let me know if there’s objections or alternate ideas:
1) remove mentions of ‘version' field from bro-pkg.meta as versioning is done entirely by git tags
2) packages should now put ‘description’ and ‘tags' fields into bro-pkg.meta so they are fully self-describing
3) change "info" command to first check if package is already installed before trying to download it. This allows metadata to be displayed when working offline.
4) new command/flag `bro-pkg refresh --aggregate-metadata <pkg source>`: crawls a package source’s index files and for each package take the master branch’s bro-pkg.meta and aggregate it into a single file, aggregate.meta, at the top-level of the package source
5) new command/flag `bro-pkg refresh --aggregate-metadata <pkg source> —push`: same as (4), but also commit/push changes to remote repo
6) change structure of package source index files:
bro-pkg.index will now contain just a simple list of package URLs:
Aggregated metadata from packages in the source all lives within a single file at the top-level named “aggregate.meta”. Only metadata from current master branches of packages is included — I don’t think it’s that useful to collect metadata for each release version and doing that even makes it harder for package authors to change the way users discover their package.
More information about the bro-dev