[Bro-Dev] bro-pkg upgrade and over-writing of files

Aashish Sharma asharma at lbl.gov
Tue Nov 29 09:06:10 PST 2016

Hello,

I have a package where I provide a sample configuration file for people to redef according to their needs and specifics.

Now everytime when they upgrade the package, I risk over writing their modified config file.

SO I decided to call the config file scan-config.bro.orig but then I am running into issues of which one to load and how to determine the presence of an already existing scan-config.bro in __load__.bro

The idea of asking uses to redef outside package directory might be cumbersome for unfamiliar users.

Any thoughts ?

Aashish