[Bro-Dev] bro-pkg upgrade and over-writing of files

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Tue Nov 29 11:51:21 PST 2016

> On Nov 29, 2016, at 11:06 AM, Aashish Sharma <asharma at lbl.gov> wrote:
>
> I have a package where I provide a sample configuration file for people to redef according to their needs and specifics.
>
> Now everytime when they upgrade the package, I risk over writing their modified config file.
>
> SO I decided to call the config file scan-config.bro.orig but then I am running into issues of which one to load and how to determine the presence of an already existing scan-config.bro in __load__.bro
>
> The idea of asking uses to redef outside package directory might be cumbersome for unfamiliar users.
>
> Any thoughts ?

At the moment, the best thing would be to ask users to explicitly copy/modify/@load the sample config file somewhere in the site/ dir.

But a new feature could be added to bro-pkg that allows package authors to specify a list of config files in their bro-pkg.meta.  Then on install/upgrade/remove, if a user has made modifications to any of those files, they can be warned/prompted about how to proceed (show a diff, ask to overwrite or keep modified version, etc.).  This seems a common way to handle config files in the package management scene.

Would such a feature work for you?

- Jon