[Bro-Dev] Package manager meta data

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Mon Oct 31 09:31:14 PDT 2016

> On Oct 30, 2016, at 6:20 PM, Jan Grashöfer <jan.grashoefer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> What about the "info" command? If a package is not installed it would be
> nice if the command would obtain the latest meta data from the package's
> repository as well.

Yep, I imagined “info” would still grab the latest metadata as well.

> Thanks for the clarification. Automatic removal might be a bit
> aggressive but a warning would be very helpful I guess.

>From the user’s perspective, if they already installed a package that later becomes unavailable, they’d see a warning when they do “refresh”, but otherwise they could continue using the installed package.

But within the package source, what reason is there to keep old packages listed if their git URL no longer points to a valid package?  What would a user do with that information?  Theoretically, if the package was just temporarily unavailable, the next time the aggregation process runs, it would get listed again and users can seamlessly start receiving updates for it again.