[Bro-Dev] Proposal: Operating the Bro package manager offline

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Tue Sep 20 07:46:35 PDT 2016

> On Sep 19, 2016, at 11:11 PM, Azoff, Justin S <jazoff at illinois.edu> wrote:
>
> Sounds great.. What you are describing is basically source and binary packages.

In concept, I like the idea of simply extending the “install” command to be able to install from a source or binary packages, but how would the package update process look like for users?

E.g. with the bundle/unbundle the update process would be:

# On source machine
$ bro-pkg refresh
$ bro-pkg update —all
$ bro-pkg bundle

# Copy bundle to target machine

# On target machine
$ bro-pkg unbundle

With that approach, the user never has to consider individual packages so updating is still straight-forward.  But with the approach of being able to install specific versions of packages from a source/binary distribution, how do you make it simple for a user to update to newer versions when absent an internet connection?