[Bro-Dev] Proposal: Operating the Bro package manager offline

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Sep 22 12:19:06 PDT 2016

On Thu, Sep 22, 2016 at 15:39 +0000, you wrote:

> What happens when --replace is not used and different version of a
> package that’s in the bundle is already installed?  I think asking
> user whether it’s ok is the way to go,

Agree, plus a "--force" option once more to skip any questions for
batch operation.

> $ bro-pkg unbundle mybundle.zip
> The following packages will be INSTALLED:
>   foo (1.0.0)
>   bar (1.0.0 -> 2.0.0)
>   baz (4.0.0 -> 3.0.0)
> Proceed? [Y/n]
>
> On answering “yes”, does it just go ahead or does it then ask for each individual package if it’s ok to overwrite it?

Just a single "yes" sounds good to me, I would see it more as
double-check to confirm the bundle is right. If it's not, one can (and
should I argue) always rebuild the bundle with different packages.

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin