[Bro-Dev] early performance comparisons of CAF-based run loop

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Apr 19 08:24:08 PDT 2017

> On Apr 19, 2017, at 2:55 AM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
>> Just a quick comment here regarding FreeBSD: the native polling
>> mechanism is kqueue, and CAF still lacks support for it [1].
>> Fortunately, this is a rather straight-forward task.
>
> Oh, sounds like that would be high-priority task then before we'd
> consider moving to a CAF-based loop?

It still falls back to ‘poll’ on non-Linux.  If more performance tests are to be done in realistic conditions (live traffic + cluster communication) on various platforms, you’d likely find out at that point whether it’s a high-priority task.  I expect ‘poll’ might still be usable if the common case is only going to max out around the order of 100s of peers.