[Bro-Dev] early performance comparisons of CAF-based run loop

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Thu Apr 20 10:40:36 PDT 2017

On Fri, Apr 14, 2017 at 17:32 +0000, you wrote:

> Just mentioning it in case you didn’t account for the real fix also
> requiring the CAF-based loop being fully realized in addition to
> Broker

Yeah, true, I was thinking that eventually we will have this all solved.

>  (Also don’t have a sense of the frequency/urgency of the problem).

I think that's the main question. So far I haven't gotten the sense
that this really affects a lot of people, so I see the priority as
rather low given our limited cycles for development and testing. If
it's a more pressing problem, we can reconsider of course.

> So since I’ve been able to get the CAF-based loop working on offline
> pcap files (it does not rely on polling the FD of the open file since
> it didn't work anyway w/ CAF's epoll-based multiplexer on Linux), it
> may be fair to say that other packet sources that don’t
> require/support poll-ability should also be possible to integrate.

I need to think about that argument ... Did you try reading from files
while also doing communication (that would be pseudo-realtime mode),
or was the pcap the only source of input?

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin