[Bro-Dev] send_id (Re: [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/jsiwek/actor-system: Finish port of control framework to use broker. (8dddae1))

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Mon Aug 28 12:53:32 PDT 2017

> On Aug 26, 2017, at 10:12 AM, Robin Sommer <robin at icir.org> wrote:
>
> Jon, replacing send_id() may indeed work better with an extension at
> the C++/Broker level.

>     - I'm thinking the best approach may be a new Bro-specific
>       message for Broker, similar to the log-create/write messages.
>       We can add that to the Bro shim in Broker. It'd send the name
>       of the ID and the new value as a broker::data instance, and the
>       receiving Bro updates the value as the message comes in.

Sounds ok.  Were you going to work on adding such a message or want me to try?

>     - There's one larger problem with replacing send_id() though: the
>       old communication system has logic to send large values
>       incrementally, so that send_id() won't block stuff.

Thanks, I had missed that fact.

Generally for porting scripts to use Broker, I was probably going to end up doing the most straightforward thing I can think of to just get things to work and hope people follow commit messages well enough to call out anything questionable.  Do you think there’s a better process for capturing high-level requirements earlier?