[Bro-Dev] Broker's remote logging (BIT-1784)

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Mon Feb 6 08:43:39 PST 2017

On Sun, Feb 05, 2017 at 22:04 +0000, you wrote:

> I understand the argument that the old semantics (manager not running
> log events/filters) may be more performant, though, I’d consider
> whether the internal comm. framework or the base/user scripts should
> be the one to decide.

I agree that generally it'd be nice to be able to do it either way.
However, I'm pretty sure at this point that we need the separate
high-performance path that the old communication introduced, for the
reasons discussed in this thread and also for consistency. I'm working
on adding that code, and I think it should be the standard model, just
as it is currently. In addition to that, one can always send log_*
events around and then do custom processing on the receiving side.
That's not quite as transparent as "normal" log messages would be with
their configuration and filters, but that might actually be a good
thing: if we actually had both mechanisms (sender- and receiver-side
filtering) built transparently into the logging framework, it could
end up being quite confusing what's used when.

I propose that for now we make Broker work like the current model, and
then we go from there. If we need more, we can add that later. The
less semantic differences we have between old and new communication,
the easier the switch will be.

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin