[Bro-Dev] Improving Bro's main loop

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Feb 10 07:40:42 PST 2017

On Fri, Feb 10, 2017 at 01:18 +0000, you wrote:

> if an IOSource needs to poll FDs it can just use poll() in its own
> actor/thread for now

Yeah, one basic decision we'll have to make is how much logic to move
into threads. Conceptually, that's the right thing to do, but we need
to make sure the code is thread-safe, and it generally makes
development and debugging harder in the future. CAF helps with all of
that, but all the legacy code worries me in that regard. That said,
the IOSources are pretty much self-contained and probably not very
problematic in that way. (But then: having some code needing to be
thread-safe, while other parts break every rule in the book in that
regard, is also confusing; we have that challenge already with the
logging and input frameworks.))

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin