[Bro-Dev] [Proposal] Language extensions for better Broker support

Jan Grashöfer jan.grashoefer at gmail.com
Tue Jan 3 08:22:32 PST 2017

>>>     [result, value] = Broker::lookup(h, 42)  # Returns [Broker::Result, opaque of Broker::Data]
>>>
>>>     if ( result == Broker::SUCCESS ) ...
>>
>> I would prefer this solution, as it feels more natural coming from other
>> languages like python.
>
> The key question is whether it will only be a one-off or fits more
> broadly into the language as part of first-class tuple support.

Something similar is already available in context of expiration
callbacks for tables using multiple indices (see e.g.,
https://github.com/bro/bro/blob/master/scripts/base/frameworks/intel/main.bro#L258).
Introducing tuples would probably allow to get rid of using the any type
at this point. Maybe there are also some scripts, whose readability can
be improved by using tuples.

Jan