[Bro-Dev] Testing and Docs for Packages

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Fri Jan 20 08:06:16 PST 2017

On Thu, Jan 19, 2017 at 17:38 +0000, you wrote:

> 1) separate testing environment for each package

> 2) single testing environment for all packages

> Neither seems great.  I guess I plan to do (1) since it is easier on
> package authors and less likely to waste users time looking into
> harmless test failures

Yeah, (1) makes sense most to me too. Otherwise the author of the
package, when writing tests, would have to shoot for a moving target
that he doesn't control. I think we have to accept that tests won't be
able to cover every possible Bro installation; they are a first line
of defense against making sure nothing fundamentally broken. Said
differently, the tests generally cannot answer the question "will this
bro-pkg operation break my setup"; what they answer is "is this
package ok?".

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin