[Bro-Dev] Broker's remote logging (BIT-1784)

Matthias Vallentin vallentin at icir.org
Tue Jan 31 18:44:50 PST 2017

> I'm wondering if there's a reason that in the Broker case things
> *have* to be this way. Is there something that prevents the Broker
> manager from doing the same as the RemoteSerializer?

Some background: when Broker sends to a log topic, the message has the
structure of a pair (id, (x, y, z, ..)) where id is an enum with the log
stream name and (x, y, z, ...) a record of log columns. Therefore, in
broker::Manager::Process() where messages are parsed and dispatched, the
log messages go into logging::Manager::Write(EnumVal*, RecordVal*).

Such messages get created via broker::Manager::Log(EnumVal*, RecordVal*,
RecordType*). The only caller of this function is logging::Manager.
Purely from an API perspective, could we just move the call from one
Write() function to the other?

    Matthias