[Bro-Dev] Bro packages with plugins
seth at icir.org
Wed Mar 1 08:38:23 PST 2017
I was emailing with Justin this morning and he reminded me that we still have the issue with people that install Bro from binary packages and their inability to install packages with binary plugins. I don't know if I'll be able to kick start a brief discussion on this right now or not, but I'll throw a couple of ideas out there to see if any stick.
- Include header files with the binary package installs.
- Solves the problem. Package users could install plugins.
- "Feels" nasty since we don't have a fully formalized API and we'd just have to include all Bro header files.
- Requires users to have a compiler.
- Create mechanism to release binary plugins in the bro package manager.
- Super easy installation for users.
- Here be (library linking) dragons. I don't know how many we could avoid with static linking.
- We would probably have to create more project infrastructure to build packages.
International Computer Science Institute
(Bro) because everyone has a network
More information about the bro-dev