[Bro-Dev] Bro packages with plugins

Alan Commike commike at reservoir.com
Thu Mar 2 09:46:17 PST 2017

On Thu, Mar 2, 2017 at 9:19 AM Siwek, Jon <jsiwek at illinois.edu> wrote:

> In other words, I think bro-pkg is already set up to handle distributing
> pre-built binary plugins, but the more difficult problems to address will
> relate to how to actually produce plugins that will be binary-compatible w/
> a user’s Bro installation.  E.g. lack of stable/standard ABI in Bro and C++
> itself means there’s myriad ways to produce unportable binaries.

This, I think, is the big gotcha. Different linux distros, different
compilers, different libraries. It even goes into which version of boost is
used. There's also matching to the version of Bro whether that's master or
release N.

I'm trying to come up with parallels with the Linux kernel. Loadable
modules have vermagic and there's DKMS. Neither fully covers the breadth of
issues that can occur.

> The only other idea I have, is if bro-pkg is not able to locate Bro source
> code (i.e. the user installed Bro from a binary package), then it could
> automatically download the appropriate version (e.g. clone Bro’s git repo
> and checkout a specific version tag).
>

>From a deployment perspective, there really shouldn't be a compiler on the
system running a deployed Bro. Even further, the system might be limited on
where on the internet it can reach. At least with many of our customers,
that's the case.

   ...alan