[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/actor-system: First-pass broker-enabled Cluster scripting API + misc. (07ad06b)

Robin Sommer robin at icir.org
Wed Nov 1 14:23:33 PDT 2017

On Tue, Oct 31, 2017 at 22:35 +0000, you wrote:

> My thought was they can conceptually still be used for the same type
> of stuff: data sharing and offloading other misc.
> analysis/calculation.

Yeah, agree that we want such nodes, however I would like to switch
away from the proxy name. "proxy" had a very specific meaning with the
old communication system and calling the new nodes the same would be
confusing I think.

> I’m worried I missed a previous discussion on what people expect the
> new cluster layout to look like or maybe just no one has put forth a
> coherent plan/design for that yet?

Justin, correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think this has ever been
fully fleshed out. If anybody wants to propose something specific, we
can discuss, otherwise I would suggest we stay with the minimum for
now that replicates the old system as much as possible and then expand
on that going forward.

> Yeah, could do that, but also don't really see the problem with
> exporting things individually.  At least that way, the topic strings
> are guaranteed to be correct in the generated docs.

Yeah, that's true, I was mostly thinking from the perspective of
having a concise API in the export section. But either way seems fine.

> the broadcast.  At least I don’t think there’s another way to send
> directed messages (e.g. based on node ID) in Bro’s current API, maybe
> I missed it?

Ah, I misunderstood the purpose of these messages.

If I remember right we can send direct messages at the C++ level and
could expose that to Bro; or we could have nodes subscribe to a topic
that corresponds to their node ID. But not sure either would make it
much different, so nevermind.

> I might generally be missing some context here: I remember broker
> endpoints originally being able to self-identify with the friendly
> names, so these new hello/bye events wouldn’t have been needed, but it
> didn’t seem like that functionality was around anymore.

I actually don't remember. If we had it, not sure what happened to it.

Robin Sommer * ICSI/LBNL * robin at icir.org * www.icir.org/robin