[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/actor-system: First-pass broker-enabled Cluster scripting API + misc. (07ad06b)

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Fri Nov 3 08:39:40 PDT 2017

> On Nov 3, 2017, at 5:51 AM, Jan Grashöfer <jan.grashoefer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> And just to avoid misunderstandings: We won't be able to get rid of the
> @if (Cluster::local_node_type() != Cluster::MANAGER/DATANODE)
> statements completely as different node types have different
> functionality. It's just about the communication API, right?

The ability to write that code doesn’t go away, I think it’s just in some places we may have the ability to do something else that may be easier to understand and/or less busy-work for script-writers to implement.

As I port the handful of scripts that come with Bro, I’m generally hesitant to radically change/reorganize the way they work.  For obvious comm. patterns that are repeated and can be replaced with something simpler, I’d do that, but for complex scripts I’d likely try to just do the simplest translation that gets it working.

I also want to make sure there’s a good foundation for people to then make further/larger changes and it sounds like there will be: it’s mostly a matter of changing the cluster layout a bit and maybe giving Justin a few more functions related to message patterns/distribution.  Once the thread slows, I’ll post a concise summary of the particular changes that I think are needed.