[Bro-Dev] [Bro-Commits] [git/bro] topic/actor-system: First-pass broker-enabled Cluster scripting API + misc. (07ad06b)

Siwek, Jon jsiwek at illinois.edu
Wed Nov 8 10:46:36 PST 2017

Just a quick summary of key points of this thread related to cluster-layout, messaging patterns, and API (omitting some minor stuff from Robin’s initial feedback).

- "proxy" nodes will be renamed at a later point toward the end of the project
  ("proxy" actually makes sense to me, but "data" seems to have caught on
  so I'll go w/ that unless there's other suggestions)

- "data" nodes will connect within clusters differently than previous "proxy"
  nodes.  Each worker connects to every data node.  Data nodes do not connect
  with each other.

- instead of sending logs statically to Broker::log_topic, there will now be
  a "const Broker::log_topic_func = function(id: Log::ID, path: string) &redef"
  to better support multiple loggers and failover use-cases

- add new, explicit message routing or one-hop relaying (e.g. for the simple
  use-case of "broadcast from this worker to all workers”)

- add a more flexible pool membership API to let scripters define their own data
  pool constraints that users can then customize (outlined in previous email)

Let me know if I missed anything.