[Bro-Dev] Performance Enhancements

Slagell, Adam J slagell at illinois.edu
Thu Oct 5 13:49:15 PDT 2017

On Oct 5, 2017, at 2:45 PM, Jim Mellander <jmellander at lbl.gov<mailto:jmellander at lbl.gov>> wrote:

1. Obviously, branch prediction, as mentioned above.  3% speedup for (almost) free is nothing to sneeze at.
2. Profiling bro to identify other hot spots that could benefit from optimization.
3. Best practices for compiling Bro (compiler options, etc.)
4. Data structure revisit (hash functions, perhaps?)

Jon Siwek was optimizing the main event loop last February, but I believe it could only go so far without the new Broker API being integrated. Also, I believe there is a need to move off of the select() function. Anyway, there is definitely a lot of optimization that could be made there.

------

Adam J. Slagell
Director, Cybersecurity & Networking Division
Chief Information Security Officer
www.slagell.info<http://www.slagell.info>

"Under the Illinois Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), any written communication to or from University employees regarding University business is a public record and may be subject to public disclosure."