[Bro-Dev] File Analysis Inconsistencies

Aaron Eppert aaron.eppert at packetsled.com
Thu Oct 12 14:21:26 PDT 2017

I crafted a custom file analysis plugin that attaches to specific MIME
types via file_sniff and fires an appropriate event once processing has
been completed.

I had to jump through a few hoops to make a file analysis plugin, first,
but those were cleared and everything runs and loads appropriately there
(bro -NN verified.) My test regime is very straight forward, I have several
PCAPs cooked up that contain simple HTTP file GETs (that extract otherwise
properly and do not exhibit missing_bytes) and I am running them via `bro
-C -r <>.pcap`. My issue comes with utter and complete inconsistency with
execution - it is, effectively, a coin flip, with zero changes.

When I have dumped the buffers being processed, as my file analysis plugin
has a secondary verification to make sure the data passed is appropriate -
which is confusing, as the mime type fires correct, which seems to indicate
a bug somewhere in the data path - the correct execution, clearly has the
proper data in it. The invalid executions, again changing nothing other
than a subsequent execution, shows a buffer of what appears to be
completely random data.

I currently cannot supply the file analysis plugin for inspection, but
would very much appreciate insight in how to find the root cause. It very
much seems to be upstream. If I run the analysis portion of the plugin as a
free standing executable outside of Bro against the data transferred via
HTTP, everything works perfect and the structures are filled accordingly.

I saw BIT-1832, and there could be similar root causes in there, but I have
not had time to investigate otherwise. The issues I am raising, again, are
command line replay via command line, not even “live” network traffic or
tcpreplay over a NIC/dummy interface.

Aaron